Saturday, November 21, 2009

Grateful No Plastic Girl

Well, well, well...no plastic girl has not been around because I have been sort of busy and very emotionally drained after a terrifying accident with a tractor trailer on Monday night of this week. The tractor trailer ran a red light and slammed into the back of and then side swiped my van on the passenger side with only me in it. So...this accident has left no plastic girl very tired after staying up that entire night and not catching up on sleep since, very grateful that I was hardly hurt at all, without my beloved green van, at the chiropractor dealing with some neck issues that appear to have been caused by the accident, and busy figuring out all of the next steps. In all of this, we have all continued in our committment not to consume plastic. Well, wait...using our credit card doesn't count, does it? no...it would only count if I acquired another plastic card...I think we're ok using what we already have.

In all of the craziness that has been my life this week, I did take a paper cup drink from a drive through with a plastic lid and not even realize until after I pulled out, grab a mint in a plastic wrapper from the chiropractor (and then immediately put it back after dh reminded me), and order a bagel with cream cheese from a coffee shop, where I went directly back to the counter to trade out the little plastic tub for a cheap pat of butter. The barista brought out a weird plastic container with silverware in it when I asked if they had a knife that was not plastic (there were huge cups of the plastic stuff sitting out). So...not much harm done while I have been temporarily insance.

Speaking of temporary insanity and gratitude, I could not be more thankful for my friend, Christina, who has graciously loaned me tons of cloth diapers to use on Kendall, and for Kate who loaned me four and should be very happy that I am no longer washing those diapers twice a day. :) (where the insanity part comes in) We are down to a tiny stack of disposables that we are saving for when Kendall attends Mother's Morning Out on Tuesday (nice name, btw, when I happen to be working my butt off that day...lol) for the last time this month. We have not decided exactly how little plastic we will consume, if any, after this month, but I can see us using a disposable diaper both at night and at MMO.

Life is good. I am so grateful for all the split seconds and inches and divine intervention that saved my life this week. Non plastic things I am grateful for this week:
PJ Madison's "organic super premium gelato style ice cream" being in all paper...no plastic seal whatsoever...and on "manager's special" at kroger from $4.99/pint to $2.59/pint
Biokleen laundry detergent in a box with no plastic handle
Ecover dishwasher detergent, powdered, in all paper.
ice cream (dream) cones from Chick fil A
my kids, who are really loving not buying plastic, and who have not thrown one fit about not being able to get something plastic they want once being reminded of that. Isaac did say the other day, "Mommy, why can't we have milk anymore?"

Well, I am off to figure out if I can make my own mayonaise. It's going to suck so bad for deviled eggs to have to become a huge project. I am going to try to be empowered by the fact that I am making mayonaise from scratch, but ultimately, I'll be wishing it was next month, when I would buy the one glass jar of mayo I found...with the plastic top and plastic seal around the top.

1 comment: