Monday, January 4, 2010

Important

I think and worry about money as if it is of super high importance...maybe the most important. Today, as I thought about Isaac, my 4 year old, and how much he values time and relationships and simple experiences together, I was reminded of how little control I want money to have over my life and feelings. Isaac asks for "things" almost daily...something he sees, something he thinks about or remembers, somewhere special he wants to go or do. Tim and I decided a long time ago when he was 2 years old and asking to go see a real castle, ride in a plane, on a train, go to France and China (thanks, Dora...lol), and all sorts of other exquisite things he holds in his amazing imagination, we would just say yes, that we hoped we could do that one day. We have both been so amazed by Isaac's dreams and thoughts of wonderful adventures. The best part about all of it, though, is that he truly does believe these things will happen "sometime." Now, at 4, he simply says, "we can go there sometime" or "I can get that sometime" I love that he just dreams and believes with the purest heart. I love that he doesn't have a care in the world about money.

On Christmas day, after opening and playing with presents for a while, Isaac asked if he could get a bucket and collect acorns outside. The implications behind this request has stuck with me. He has a passion for nature and simplicity...collecting, the cold air, open endings. He stated that his favorite present from Santa was the one that cost $2.99. His response to "what did Santa get you?" this week has been small items from his stocking mostly. Money does not impress him.

I was sad that I was going out for coffee last night and was not going to be able to buy anything, but I did not miss out on anything important by drinking water while there. The relationships were the most important...of course...I was sad that it bothered me at all not to be able to buy something.

Kendall cried wholeheartedly when we reminded her we would not be going out to eat this month yesterday after church. She begged not to go home and instead to "go to lunch." It was great to hear Isaac console her. I want my kids to value voluntary simplicity, eating at home together, eating simple, whole foods, what is important to our family. I can explain all of these values when the kids ask why we are not spending money. I usually leave out the explanation of the debt and such...lol. Isaac has declared he only wants to eat "food that makes me grow."

I want to be more like Isaac.

1 comment:

  1. I want to be more like Issac too. Love your posts. Tamar

    ReplyDelete